Home Forums Looking for Group Ravenloft

This topic contains 32 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WillAsher 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Nykrat
    Nykrat
    Participant

I am looking to see what the interest is on creating a gaming group around the Ravenloft campaign setting using either the Pathfinder, AD&D 2nd, AD&D 3.5, or D&D 5th edition rules. If there is sufficient interest, then I can host and/or run a bi-weekly game. Thoughts?

Nykrat
    Nykrat
    Participant

No love for Ravenloft? So sad.

Obligitory
    Participant

I’m interested in playing a 5e game. I know wotc just released a very well revieed adventure in ravenloft for 5e.

Nykrat
    Nykrat
    Participant

Yeah, I heard that Chris Perkins wrote it with input from the Hickmans. I hope this isn’t a one-off thing. It would be really cool to see a lot more of that fantastic 5th edition artwork spread around my favorite campaign setting. If we can find 2-3 more players, I’ll learn the module and run it.

Obligitory
    Participant

I have one more for sure interested. I can post on reddit and meetup to find 2 more im sure. I live on the east side 22nd & belmont area. So I’m close to GG. eventually we might even be able to play at my place. I’m also down for renting private rooms.

Nykrat
    Nykrat
    Participant

Okay, based on this discussion I have gone out and picked up some 5th edition books including The Curse of Strahd. See who you can nab from reddit (I’d prefer to keep it to four players if thats okay with you (1 DM plus 4 PCs). I’ll read the book and we’ll keep in touch over the next few weeks regarding dates and times. Sound good?

LittleTingle
    LittleTingle
    Participant

I’m the one more Obligatory mentioned. I’d be interested, should schedules work out. Sunday to Thursday I wouldn’t be able to stay too late (I wake up at 2:30 weekdays) but Friday afternoon would be awesome.

Obligitory
    Participant

Ok, cool sounds great!

So to be clear were looking at a BI-weekly or weekly game? what times work best for you Nykrat? I’m pretty wide open for schedule accept for saterdays where we already have a game, so dont worry about me.

Nykrat
    Nykrat
    Participant

Sounds like we are 3/5ths of the way to a full group!

LittleTingle: Hi there, pleased to meet you.

Obligitory: Sounds like you’re flexible…I like that! For the short term, I’m looking to run a game every two weeks on a weekday evening that everyone can agree upon (some 4-6 hour block of time somewhere between 5pm-midnight). My reason for this is two-fold: I don’t want to burn out and I don’t want to run a half-assed game. If the 5 of us are enthusiastically engaged and there’s no excessive petulance or general douche-baggery, then I can absolutely be talked into bumping it up to a weekly thing. Another way I can be talked into a weekly thing is if someone shares DMing duties with me. How I can imagine that looking is that I would run Ravenloft for a 4-6 week block before handing it off to another DM (for Pathfinder or some other game) who would do the same then hand it back to me. I’m always open to suggestions when people want more of a good thing!

Thoughts?

Nykrat
    Nykrat
    Participant

Are you guys familiar with the character creation process for 5e?

Something to chew on…a cool little pdf for tailoring your pc to Ravenloft:

http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/CoS_Character_Options.pdf

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Nykrat Nykrat.
    LittleTingle
    LittleTingle
    Participant

As far as character creation, we both have the PHB. Typical questions to be answered at your leisure: Point Buy? Feats? Variant Humans? Custom Backgrounds? Other rules?

Like I said, Fridays would work best for me, but I could probably stay to 10 on a different weekday.

Obligitory
    Participant

I have tried sharing dm duties before and it hasn’t worked out that well. However I wouldn’t mind running a game of my own for the same group of people on the off weeks. I don’t normally like DMing long term bit if its every other week, I might be able to handle it.

I shall make a post on the appropriate boards for 2 more players, preferably Friday night.

Nykrat
    Nykrat
    Participant

Oblig: That’s actually what I meant by “sharing DM duties” though I didn’t do a very good job explaining it. You run something non-ravenloft and I’ll run ravenloft. When I feel like I’m starting to wear thin or need a break, I’ll ask if you’re ready to start yours up for a session or two. I plan to give a couple of weeks notice, so it wouldn’t be a last minute thing, but we should all definitely have characters prepared for a seamless transition. I’m even cool with a pregen if it’ll make life easier on you.

LT: Sounds good. PH13 describes the Customizing Ability Scores variant and I’m a superfan of that one – let’s use that.

As far as the other parts of character creation goes, I’m going to say let’s stick to whatever’s in the 5e PH/DMG (because I’m still learning the system and don’t want to get overloaded with a glut of 3rd party esoterica). One exception I’ll make is if the material comes from the Fraternity of Shadows website. I’ll allow damn near anything from there because I can trust those guys not to break the setting with laser-beam shooting dragon-cyborg templates.

Is that okay with you two? If you feel strongly about a character concept that you’ve been itching to try out in a gothic fantasy milieu, then please don’t hesitate to run it by me.

You asked about custom backgrounds…I’m a big fan of the idea of an insulated Ravenloft campaign setting. Practically speaking, this means that PCs are native to the place and there is no concrete knowledge of anything beyond the misty boarders.

If you’re looking for inspiration, I’d recommend checking out any of the fantastic gazetteers’ that Arthaus put out a number of years ago or google “ravenloft + [domain name]”.

Another piece (a house-ruling, really) worth mentioning is that all references to deities in D&D products will be interpreted as an aspect of a singular creator-god known to the denizens of dread as the Lawgiver. For instance, what would normally be a cleric of the Forgotten Realms deity Oghma (god of knowledge) will be known by the denizens as a cleric. Period. All “clerics”, which is to say a playable class receiving spells from a deity, worship the Lawgiver and specialize in a specific area of expertise regarding the Lawgiver (think of it like the difference between the neuro-surgeon vs. plastic surgeon vs. cardiothoracic surgeon…they’re all surgeons that specialize). So the “cleric of Oghma” would be something like…Brother Thelonius an acolyte training at the cathedral in Levkarest studying the Lawgiver in his Knowledge aspect (Suggested Domains column under Oghma, god of knowledge PH294) as it pertains to raw knowledge (Deity column under Oghma, god of knowledge PH294). Another cleric may be studying the Lawgiver in his Knowledge aspect (Suggested Domains column under Azuth, god of wizards PH294) as it pertains to arcana (Suggested Domains column under Azuth, god of wizards PH294). If this is information overload then feel free to disregard and we’ll catch up on the whole Religion-in-Ravenloft concept at the table.

Any other questions? I’m always around to answer them if it’ll enrich the gaming experience.

Obligitory
    Participant

Cool, I’ll start cooking up my Home-brew setting. Its been in my mind for a while and I’ve run a couple of one shots in the setting.

Here is the reddit post I put up, it has a little taste of the setting: https://www.reddit.com/r/lfg/comments/4deieu/offlineportland_oregon5e_looking_for_2_more/

My game will also use point buy, unless a player wants to roll, but if they do they will be stuck with whatever they get….

The core rules is fine with as I’ve never played 5e before and its still a fresh and exiting system to me. I’ve played pathfinder and 3.5 before that for about 13 years (I’m 23), so I wont have a problem making my character or running the setting.

I’ll look into the third party inspiration. TBH I’ve never actually played an entire campaign in Ravenloft. only a few excursions when I was younger, so this is exiting!

Nykrat
    Nykrat
    Participant

Excellent! Thanks for doing that. For that Reddit post, can you clarify that the players will not be brought in from without but are actually native to Ravenloft and that the players will not have any 1st or second hand knowledge of other worlds? I’ll be using Curse of Strahd about 90% as is but I’ll be taking liberties. For instance, Barovia is not the only domain. I don’t want to bait and switch any prospective players looking to play a “pure” Curse of Strahd adventure.

Out of curiosity, and because it’ll help me shape the conversation a little better, how much do you guys know about this campaign setting? For instance, if I say that we’ll be using the post-grand conjunction map with elements of pre-GC political maneuverings would that make sense? Do you care? If I were to say that Azalin Rex is the one true king and Count Strahd Von Zarovich pays him fealty and rules at the sufferance of the king’s trusted Duke Gundar of Gundarak, does that kind of information help you think about your character or is it simply information overload?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.